Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Do The Right Thing Yo

While watching the motion picture Do The Right Thing by Spike Lee, I enjoyed a number of scenes throughout the movie, while disliking others. I think that Spike Lee's directing style is very...ADD in the way that it will sporadically cut for no apparent reason and doesn't linger on one scene for too long, much like one of my all time favorite directors, Michael Bay (internet sarcasm). That being said, I found one scene to stand out over most of the others, both in content and cinematography, as it was both unsettling and ridiculous, pushing onto the viewers and array of emotions that left me feeling uncomfortable, not knowing if I found it funny or horrible. The scene I speak of was the montage in a seemingly random place in the film where it cuts to 5 people all of different races, who proceed to spout off just about every known racial slur, and then some unknown, directed at a particular opposite race. I found the clip of it on youtube so you readers don't have to try and remember it if you forgot, though I'm sure for a lot of you you still remember it unless you were asleep.




This scene overall stood out for me because the speed and angle that the camera comes in on to the people is unsettling to the viewer and leaves them feeling uncomfortable and as if the comments are being directed to them, but the comments that come out of their mouths are so ridiculous that you can't really take them seriously, though maybe they were highly offensive back in 1989 and us kids are just too desensitized by the media to feel any sort of emotion other than finding them funny, damn video games. Anyway for me this was the most powerful scene in the film, yes, even more so than Mookie throwing the trash can through the window, though that is up there on my list. Now I ask of you, what do you think the most powerful scene in the movie was?

No comments: